Notable Speakers and Remarkable Graduates Highlight 2011 University Commencement
- Lisa Phillips Davis, 1976 B.A., Barnard College
- Susan K. Feagin, 1974 B.A., School of General Studies
- Margot H. Jaffe, D.D.S., 1980 D.D.S., 1981 D.M., 1985 D.M., College of Dental Medicine
- Gertrude G. "G.G." Michelson, 1947 LL.B., Columbia Law School
- Mark Albert Momjian, 1983 B.A., Columbia College, 1986 J.D., Columbia Law School
- Daniel V. Schiavello, 1975 B.S., 1976 M.S., Engineering and Applied Science
- Neil L. Selinger, Esq., 1975 B.A., Columbia College
- Kaspar F. Speckle, 1964 M.B.A., Columbia Business School
- Jian Ni “Nina” Sun, 2001 M.I.A., School of International and Public Affairs
- Dale Chakarian Turza, 1974 M.A., Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Martha G. Welch, M.D., 1971 M.D., College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Mary Sheila S. Coronel, Toni Stabile Professor of Professional Practice in Investigative Journalism, Columbia Journalism School
- Kenneth B. Frampton, Ware Professor of Architecture, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation
- Richard A. Korb, senior lecturer, Department of Germanic Languages
- Richard Locke, professor of professional practice in writing, School of the Arts
- Jill S. Shapiro, lecturer, Department of Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Biology
Mathematics Professor Robert Friedman received the 2014 Mark Van Doren Award for Teaching to recognize his inspiring leadership.
National Science Foundation Career Awards were given to Roxana Geambasu, assistant professor of computer science, for a proposal to create new data protection methods for modern operating systems; and Javad Lavaei, assistant professor of electrical engineering, for research on electrical power networks.
Edward Said Professor of Modern Arab Studies Rashid Khalidi, won the 2014 Lionel Trilling Book Award for Brokers of Deceit: How the U.S. Has Undermined Peace in the Middle East.