Your Columbia Student Starter Pack
Whether you're arriving at Columbia for your first semester or have been here for many years, we could all use a little inspiration to make the Columbia experience the very best it can be. That means getting to know our campuses, services, traditions, and even New York City itself. After all, that's one of the best things about Columbia...getting to experience the campus and the city.
Please consider this Back-to-School Starter Pack a *virtual orientation kit* from a knowledgeable new friend. Below, you'll find everything from trivia and #lifehacks to how-tos, who-to-follows, tours, and discounts.
Have more questions you'd like answered about the ins and outs of the Columbia experience? Email [email protected]. We'll get right on it!
Bottom-line advice: "You should explore New York City just like you would as a tourist, whether you are from New York City or here for the first time. It's easy to get caught up in your classes, but part of coming to Columbia is about taking advantage of the best city in the world!" — Michelle Young, GSAPP'12, Founder of Untapped New York
Bottom-line advice: There are a plethora of ways to spend a fantastic day in NYC for under $20. We have 23 itineraries to prove it.
Deals and Discounts
Bottom-line advice: “Don't worry too much about grades. It's important to do well academically, but that's not all. Go out and experience the rich cultures around you. Go out and meet people. Start a conversation at a local coffee shop. Be adventurous.” — Eunice Kim, GS’19
- Need a caffeine jolt for your study sesh? Check out these 34 coffee spots on and around Columbia's campuses
- Learn more about Columbia Health and on- and off-campus health and wellness resources
- Check out these student resources (from mental health to event and inclusion) from University Life
- Looking for connection? These five Columbia student projects can help you with that
- Columbia Athletics are back! Here's where you can find upcoming games (+ free admission to sporting events)
Join the Fun at Welcome Home Columbia
The Office of University Life invites you to Welcome Home Columbia, a series of events from September 6-16 that are open to all students across all schools and campuses. Welcome Home Columbia is an opportunity to connect with other students and resources as the academic year begins.
Here are three marquee events that you should add to your calendar today.